So I can not believe where time goes. It was three years ago today that we got the great news that there was a heart for my Georgie-Bean. I can still remember everything about that day. It was a Sunday and we were about to go to Sacrament meeting at the Hospital and one of the transplant doctors came in and started talking to us about traveling. We had no idea what he was talking about and we asked him if he was in the right room. He said ya this is George Little right? Then he said Oh you don't know he has a Heart in Kansas City and Dr. Kouretas is making plans to go pick it up. I could not believe what he was saying, it was like Christmas in March. We were able to get a hold of our families because they had their cell phones on them at all times. Both sets of grandparents were in church but we got them and I think they told everyone at church too. I called Randi and she had a running saying that she would say to me it was, Today is the Day. But this day she did not say it to me. So we chatted for a while and I told her Today is the Day and she lost it.
They told us about the heart in the morning but they did not take him into surgery till 5ish that night. We got hourly updates and the best one was that his new heart was in and beating on its own!! We got to see him around 1:30AM and he never looked better. He was pink for the first time and we will never see that blue boy again!!
This was truly a blessing and I am so happy to have him still here. His new heart is truly at home in George and I know he had a great friend who promised George in the pre-existence that he would help him out. They had to have been great friends for this heart to be so at home in George. Georgie, I love you and I am so happy you were able to stay here with us, I don't know what I would do without you!!
This picture is George on his 1st Birthday in the PICU waiting for a heart with RSV!?! The first birthday party that ever mother wishes for their child. He was on some serious medication that paralyzed his body so his heart could just rest and wait so he could no move or respond to us. But they let us all into the PICU and we sang Happy Birthday to him and he actually opened his eyes and looked at us he was our little red headed fighter.

This is George after his transplant starting the 5 week hospital recovery!!

This is George right after they extubated him. He was intubated for 6 1/2 weeks so the tube moved some of his teeth. You can kinda see it in the picture. They use wires to twist tie his chest shut but they only use steri-strips to keep the skin together. The patches on his tummy are from all his chest tubes and pacemaker wires. But I got to hold him!!!
Who would guess that this kid was ever sick, he is doing his Mr. Incredible pose, and I think he is Mr. Incredible!!


17 comments:
Ashlie...oh I love you! You and George inspire me. Time does fly and he has come such a long way! Thank you for allowing us all to share in your story and be touched. Miracles do happen, every day! ...I think he's got Mr. Incredible by a long mile!!
Has it really been 3 years?? Wow. I, too, remember coming into work that night and hearing the news like it was yesterday. He has been through so much, and is such an inspiration to so many. congratulations on the 3 year anniversary! I miss you guys!
He sure is Mr. Incredible! I have to admit that I think you are pretty incredible yourself! What a strong person to go through that with such courage! I really admire and look up to you!
Oh, Aren't we so blessed. I am so glad that George is doing so well. I hope that Kaidence's little heart will do as well as his has. I don't think many people understand what an amazing difference organ donation can make. It's AWESOME!!!!!
Geez! Thanks for making me cry. It doesn't seem like that long ago to me either. I remember how excited I was when I heard the news. We love you, George!
Eliza and family
this post made me cry. you are so strong. i'm so happy everything has gone so well for george. what a blessing. congratulations!
Congratulations I am so excited for you! I am crying like a baby. You are such an example to me! Tell George I KNOW he is Mr. Incredible. (isn't it ironic that he loves that show? He really is so incredible.) Love ya Ash.
You are both incredible. Thanks for sharing your miracle with us all. I will never forget the moment we heard (via text message from Colin) that George had a heart. He is one amazing boy! (Way to go to take the hospital pics--just shows how much stronger you are than me--I don't have any because I didn't have the guts.)
WOW That was such an amazing post...chills and tears the whole time! I remember that time so well, I can't believe it has been 3 years! I love George...he is truly a miracle and such an amazing little dude! It was so great to see you and laugh with you last night! Love ya girl!
I hardly ever leave comments, but I just had to this time! George is such a sweet little boy, and I can't get over how strong he is! When we were at your house and watched him take him nightly medicines including those Lovenox shots my heart just broke. But I came home and told myself I would never complain about my shots. Seriously, I thought if Georgie can handle it, then I need to quit being such a wimp. What an inspiration! You're awesome!
Ashlie,
I check on your blog every once in a while. I just love your cute kids. I think you are such a amazing mom!!!
Andrea
ps if you want a invite to my blog e-amil me I'll send you one
andreab71@hotmail.com
I never heard that whole story. I am crying now. So amazing!. He really is Mr. Incredible.
Love you guys!!
What a sweet post...I am crying! What a special bond you and georgie will always have because of his special story. What an inspiration! I love the incredibles pose! He is full of it!
I have chills all over and I am crying like a big fat boob!!! I am so thankful that George has you for a mom. You two are the perfect fit. He needed a fighter for a mom to be the fighter that he is today! You are such an amazing example to not only your kids but to all of us! You are awesome and so is George!!!
That is such an amazing story! I've heard it a couple times from you and from Randi and I cry every time!
Ashlie- What a post. I am so glad that so much is behind you and that George is doing so well. What a great check up. I am so happy for you and your family. You are an inspiration to all of us.
Bethany
Hi I just came across this amazing story> I am a little shocked at how similar our paths have gone. My Taylor (girl age 7) was born with tetrology of fallot, had open heart at 6 months and it is only a matter of time until the next surgery, we were scheduled for Nov. but thankfully got a break and should get it this year. The pics are so similar to Tays swollen puffy blue. Wow what little miracles we have. every child is an unrepetable miracle. So fun to see your great life and wonderful fam.
love Summer
Post a Comment