Friday, February 26, 2010

Yogurt Consistancy

So we have been in to see a pulmanologist(SP) to see why George has been getting pneumonia so much lately. He came up with a few ideas; first is aspiration, the second is his heart is pressing on his left bronchial tube and making it hard for him to cough out junk. So we just went in and had a swallow study, they make him eat barium in various consistency's. He did fine with the pudding and apple sauce. When we got to the nectar and the fruit punch he was aspirating into his lungs. Not bad from what they are saying but a teeny amount will get into his airway. So now he can only eat things that are a yogurt consistency or thicker. You may ask yourself what about drinks. Well I had to buy a jumbo box of thickener to thicken drinks. It sicked me out to think of thickening water or milk so we went and got a ton of Gatorade. We tell him it is his Batman Juice, he seems to buy it. As for long term we will have to wait and see.
They are going to do a broncoscapy(SP) on Tuesday when they do his heart biopsy. I will be interested to see what they find. I personally think that the small bronchial cord is 80% of the problem and the aspiration is 20%. There has only been one time that he got pneumonia without even having a cough. But we may be referred to an ENT to see if he has paralyzed vocal cords too.
White I was waiting at the pharmacy for prescriptions, the pharmacist and I came to the conclusion that George does not have an Arby's symbol above his head we think he has a question mark. He keeps us on our toes. If anyone feels like they would enjoy some thickened Gatorade come on over you know where to get it!!

6 comments:

Niki said...

Poor me a glass...I'll be right over:) Since I don't even like milk because it is too thick, just save me a Coke!

Kaidence's Mommy said...

No Thanks! We just gave away a whole box of thickening (honey cons). I wish I had known. Let me know what you figure out, because K has the paralyzed vocal chord as well and e have been worried about the same thing. Is his voice soft like Kaidence's? Bummer.....Good Luck with everything!

Aim said...

Oh Ashlee that doesn't sound fun. I really like to drink my liquids the way that they are. But I do know some people that hate drinking anything they might like thick drinks. I tell them that they have drinking problems. Good luck with George, I hope they can figure something out that will help.

nikki said...

That does not sound fun but I hope it does the trick. George is such a great sport!

Molly said...

Oh my...that sounds so hard Ash! For George yes, but for you too! I love the arby's analogy because I really do think I have the arby's sign above me at all times...nothing like a Arby Original!

Paul said...

Jen and I wanna come up and throw a few back with George!!! PS...thanks for the plug for Straigt Line!